Wednesday, June 15, 2005

JoJo--Yours, Mine and Ours

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This is my one year anniversary of blogging. I wrote one entry on June 3rd 2004, but the first one I really loved writing was on June 7, 2004 called "Prince Albert Goes to War" and it is still one of my favorites. If you read this blog and have never read that post, I would love for you to do so because it's a sweet story about my mom's brother, Bill, who died this time last year.


One startling reality of that passing is that my mom is the last living member of a large "yours, mine, and ours" family. You wouldn't know by her demeanor that she's shouldered the loss of not just her mate and both of her parents, but also all of her sisters, brothers, their wives, and her niece, who was like a sister.

Her demeanor may be to a great extent influenced by her birth order.

First, her natural birth. Do you know any toddlers whose siblings are all teenagers? You know how little ones like that are often doted on by everyone? You know the little one that everyone picks up and loves? Well, I think my mom, Emma Jo Evans Choate, was a much loved little one. This could have produced an overindulged unpleasant type of person. But, not in this case. This "yours, mine, and ours" baby matured into JoJo.

JoJo opens her arms. She picks us up. She loves us. All of us. The whole family. The whole church. The kids at school. The whole staff at Kroger's.

She loves you and you love her.


But don't be fooled into thinking that her cheerfulness precludes a deep seated grief over the stinging losses she sustains. A demeanor like hers can hardly be sustained simply by a natural birth order. It is her second birth, her life in Christ, her spiritual self that keeps the twinkle in her eye, the song in her heart, and openness of her spirit. It is the Holy Spirit that gives birth to an irrepressible spirit of love and hope.

God loves her. She loves us. We love her.

Because God is her father and Jesus is her brother she has embraced the promise of brothers, sisters, fathers, and mothers Jesus promised those willing to give it all up for him.

JoJo and Jesus. Yours, mine, and ours.

3 comments:

Julia Osteen said...

I think you have captured the essence of your mother here. It didn't take long for me to know how loving she is. We will miss both of you.

Anonymous said...

What a thrill to find the words and the bonus photo of "Yours, Mine and Ours." I was ecstatic to learn that you, Bev, will be in Memphis. Does this mean Jo will as well? Please!

I love you all -- alice ann kellar

Beverly Choate Dowdy said...

Yes, Alice Ann, we are bringing Jo. She's been part of our household since 1994 and we are delighted that she is willing to come along. I believe she will enjoy it at White Station and will also enjoy a chance to get to Searcy from time to time.

I am sorry I missed you at GACS graduation. I knew you were there but could missed you in the big crowd.

Did you see the blog about Kieran???? It's the next one down.

Love you back!
Bev