Wednesday, April 12, 2006

CULTIVATING COURAGE, SIMPLICITY, DISCIPLESHIP



I read this today on Sojourner’s website:

"My sincere view is that the commitment of our forces to this fight was done with a casualness and swagger that are the special province of those who have never had to execute these missions - or bury the results."

- Marine Lt. Gen. Greg Newbold, former director of operations at the Pentagon's military joint staff, writing in Time magazine. Newbold resigned four months before the invasion of Iraq, but has only now gone public with his criticism of the war.
www.sojo.net


This quote reminds me of how I felt before the US attacked Iraq. I believed that idea that it would be a “cakewalk” smacked of arrogance and ignorance of the complexities of the Muslim world in general and Iraq specifically. I believed that Saddam was already contained and that further cooperation with the international community would be advantageous to us.

I was afraid to say what I thought.

If I am to write, I must cultivate courage.

I must also get settled in my new home.

We have sold and bought houses. We have been forced to think think think about money. What's a good price? What's a good offer? What's the wisest move? What if we lose? We sold our house with four bedrooms and a green room. The green room, our spare room, served at various times, as an office, a bedroom, and a sitting room.

We bought a house with two bedrooms and have kilzed a 1950s wood paneled room in our new-to-us-home into a green room. With all the tossing and paring I thought I did all summer, we bulge from the insides at this new address.

If I am to make a home, I must cultivate simplicity.

Today I was honored by Nick Michael, a senior graduating from our school. He asked me to be seated by him in chapel as a representative of our congregation who has had a positive spiritual influence. His invitation touched me and made me feel that I may still be a shadow of myself. We became acquainted when I taught the high school Sunday school class this winter. I am thankful that God made something good from that rough offering of the winter. After spending months sifting through stuff, thinking of houses, and meeting new folks, I find myself starving for quiet, for imbibing deeply in the Spirit of God, and being strengthened by his spirit within me.

If I am to be fully alive, I must renew discipleship.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back belated blogger.

Dana M. said...

I can sympathize with your need for quiet and spiritual reflection. As usual, my life has functioned in mild chaos for a few months, and I am gearing up for another few months of ministry-filled chaotic work for God. That just sounds wrong to say, but it's the reality of my life.

I was most recently blessed by a trip to the Baja coast of Mexico to visit a friend who is preaching down there, and it was the start of quiet reflection I needed. I found the opportunity to sit for a few collected hours and do nothing,--absolutely nothing--but listen to the Spirit's leading in my life. God was gracious enough to meet me there. It was like finding a place to call home in my heart. God is so faithful.

I pray many blessings over your process of settling, and I will ask God to refresh and renew you beyond your wildest measure in your new home. Give Ken my love.

Missing you much,
Dana

Beverly Choate Dowdy said...

Rebekah!
I am so happy you went to Czech. I was SO sad all week for me, but glad for all of you. I have heard good reports and hope to hear more.

I miss you SO much.
Beverly