Saturday, January 16, 2010

Revival Reading Rated R

The Flood-Under 17 not admitted--sexuality, violence, some nudity
This sounds more like a Greek or Roman story of divine beings and humans interacting than I remembered reading. It makes me wonder about divine and human connections, about the realm of invisible spiritual warfare. Check out this from Genesis 6

1 When the people began to multiply on the face of the ground, and daughters were born to them, 2 the sons of God saw that they were fair, and they took wives for themselves of all they chose. 3 Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not abide in mortals forever, for they are flesh; their days will be a hundred and twenty years."
4 The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went in to the daughters of humans, who bore children to them. They were the heroes of that were of old, warriors of renown.”


So picture, the Nephilim, reportedly a population of giants from this primeval period, cavorting with the offspring of the sons of God and the daughters of the earth, these warriors of renown. Whatever this is about, obviously God was not very happy with the carrying on and as a consequence put an end the era of five, six, seven hundred year-old people.

Imagine the market for plastic surgery in those days.

Eventually, semi-divine hanky panky combined with the total depraved conduct of the population of the fallen world, provoked God to plan destruction upon them all.

When I was a child I don’t remember really liking the flood story much, but I don’t remember being terrified by it. I think because there was a lot more emphasis on how cool the ark was with the gopher wood, pitch, and all the animals. I did not like the idea of the folks drowning, but I think I pictured it like folks were knocking on the door wanting in and getting turned away. I never thought of the wrenching fear and utter destruction of this event. I don’t think I ever reflected on in meaningful way until the tsunami of 2004 and the destruction of the shore Bande Aceh, Indonesia.

I cannot really imagine what they found on the earth when the waters receded. Horrible thought.

The pervasive nature of the flood narrative throughout many cultures actually helps me have more faith. It doesn't necessarily make me like it much, however--not that it matters.

Further, the rather unflattering story of naked Noah and his sons makes me think the writers were more interested in conveying a story of the nature of man and God then in trying to create heroes for hearers to worship.

Any insights out there on the Nephilim and the warriors of renown?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bev, Harry Seratt at Cocws has extensively researched these passages...along this other beings mentioned in the OT...interesting stuff. Sounds like Greek heroes meet the Bible. Also makes you wonder about Samson....Deb Plunket